'We pinned him down:' Restaurant workers helped stop violent attack on good samaritan

Two restaurant workers are being credited for helping stop a violent attack on a good samaritan in Burien Wednesday night. (Photo: KOMO News)

BURIEN, Wash. - When the screaming man came running in to his restaurant Wednesday night Alex Beltran dropped everything.

When the man dove into the cooler, shouting ‘they’re trying to kill me,’ Beltran and his co-worker at Burien’s Burger Broiler rushed toward a man coming inside.

“He was trying to go inside with a machete and we just chased him out pushed him out,” Beltran said.

RELATED | Caught on camera: Good Samaritan violently attacked with machete, chain belt

The two cooks followed the knife-wielding man outside, telling him to stop when he told them he was just going to walk away. They followed him to another fast-food restaurant parking lot.

“Came round,” Beltran said, pointing to the parking lot. “[He] came all the way around trying to get away but we wouldn’t let him do it.”

The man swung his machete at the cooks, but they managed to pin him to the ground.

“We were holding him down, we pinned him down,” Beltran said. “My co-worker actually had his arm on him. I tried to make sure he didn’t get away.”

It was then the two cooks realized what happened, Beltran said, the man they were pinning down was accused of attacking a man who was being treated by medics nearby.

The attack was caught on video.

(WARNING: The video below is graphic. Viewer discretion advised.)

Burien police arrested the man they pinned down, as well as another man who was armed with some type of “belt-like chain,” according to the sheriff’s office.

“He looked lost. I looked in his eyes and I don’t think he knew where he was at,” Beltran said about the man they were holding for police.

The wounded man was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, with critical injuries. His condition improved Thursday, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

Arnie Stevens, the man who ducked into the restaurant’s cooler, told KOMO Wednesday the 39-year-old man came to his rescue after the two men harassed him and knocked over his belongings. According to the sheriff’s office the two men are friends.

One suspect, a 26-year-old Seattle man, was ordered held on $200,000 bail Thursday. The second suspect is expected to appear in a Seattle courtroom Friday.

Beltran was back at work Thursday, making burgers for the lunch rush. He said he didn’t think twice about jumping in to help.

“I just did it because I was thinking, you know, if nobody tries to stop him somebody else is going to get hurt,” Beltran said. “I’m just doing something anyone else would have done. You know, just trying to be a good person at the right time.”

Friends have set up a GoFundMe account to help the victim with medical costs.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off