Revive I-5 shuts down NB I-5 in Seattle
SEATTLE – Although the weekend forecast predicts sunny skies and 80 degrees, the roads from I-5 to I-90 aren't looking too hot when it comes to traffic. Construction will shut down parts of I-5.
Revive I-5 Downtown Seattle
The northbound lanes of I-5 will be closed from the West Seattle Bridge to Seneca for the Revive I-5 project from 8 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday. Click here for alternative routes from Seattle Dept. of Transportation.
The Washington Dept. of Transportation is telling drivers to expect a longer wait on the roads.
“If people stick to their normal routines, if they think they can just drive I-5 as normal, then we’re going to see some backups. If people use the alternate routes, we’re going to see some backups, but it won’t be as bad,” said Tom Pearce, a WSDOT Spokesperson.
This is the second time since June that the Revive I-5 project will shut down a portion of the freeway. Some drivers say they’re not looking forward to dealing with traffic jams.
“With 99 being one lane and they’re shutting down I-5, I’m staying in all weekend. Transportation is going to be terrible,” said Rodney Hall who lives in Seattle.
The closure will allow crews to safely replace expansion joints and repave the roads. On-ramps will be closed and lane reductions on I-5 will begin at Southcenter and continue up to the West Seattle/Spokane Street ramp where all cars must get off the highway.
“Drivers are going to be able to get back on at the West Seattle bridge on ramp to northbound I-5. There’s no real quick way to turn around though and just get off at the off ramp and then turn right back and get on at the on ramp,” Pearce said.
The next I-5 road work will happen Aug. 11 and 12, but that will only include lane reductions and not a full closure of the freeway.
Pearce says drivers should also consider not driving at all and using the light rail to get around instead.
US 2 Everett closures
• From 7 p.m. Friday to 4 a.m. Monday all lanes of westbound US 2 between SR 204 and Homeacres Road/20th Street Southeast will be closed.
• Closed: Westbound SR 204 off-ramp to westbound US 2.
• Closed: 20th Street Southeast on-ramp to westbound US 2.
I-90 Snoqualmie Pass
• Today through Sunday, drivers will experience delays on eastbound I-90 between North Bend (milepost 34) and the summit of Snoqualmie Pass (milepost 52) due to 24-hour lane closures.
• Today through mid-August, the westbound lanes of I-90 between milepost 47 near Denny Creek and milepost 52 near the summit of Snoqualmie Pass will be reduced to two lanes. One lane will be shifted around the work zone for crews to repair several bridge decks, which will remain in place 24 hours a day, seven days a week.