Knife-wielding man killed after lunging at officers in Pierce Co.

KOMO photo.

NEAR PUYALLUP, Wash. - Officers shot and killed a man in unincorporated Pierce County Saturday morning after he lunged at them with a knife, authorities say.

The incident occurred around 6:30 a.m. near the 7400 block of 189th Street Court East, Sgt. Ed Troyer with the Pierce County Sheriff's Department said.

The 35-year-old man had been sleeping under a car port at his sister's house. The sister told the Sheriff's Department that she believes he is addicted to methamphetamine.

When the man's sister asked her husband to drive her brother away from the house, the brother pulled out a knife and tried to rob him.

The husband attempted to drive the brother back to the sister's house and at some point the brother got out of the car, Troyer said.

When deputies arrived, they found the man in the street a few blocks away from his sister's house still holding the knife.

As the three deputes attempted to contact him, he made threats and lunged at them.

“He made statements that nobody was going to stop him or he would kill them and he lunged at our deputies and that’s when they fired,” said Troyer. “If you have three people armed and you have a knife and you threaten to kill them, and you lunge at them, you’re going to get shot

All three deputies fired their weapons. Police say the man died on scene.

Family members say they just wanted deputies to calm the man down, not hurt him

“I just wanted him out of here, I didn’t want nothing to happen, [I said] make sure my brother is OK, make sure my brother is OK, that was it,” said the dead man's brother Luis Navarrete. “Ten shots, that’s a little excessive don’t you think? I don’t know,Iit’s just something is not right.”

“All of a sudden I heard shots like, ‘pop pop pop,’ and I thought they were fireworks because it happened so quickly,” one neighbor said who didn’t want to be identified. “I looked out the window and saw some officers standing in a half circle with their guns pointing down.”

The three officers have been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off