Deputies: Man pours gas on 69-year-old stranger at Denny's, lights him on fire
HAPPY VALLEY, Ore. — The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office says a man walked into a Denny's restaurant Wednesday night, threw what was likely gasoline on a customer and then lit him on fire.
The incident happened around 9 p.m. at the Denny’s at 12101 S.E. 82nd Avenue, across from the Clackamas Town Center.
Deputies said they reviewed restaurant surveillance video and saw the suspect sit down in a booth next to the victim. They said they then saw the suspect dump a liquid on the victim and toss a burning object onto him. There was then a large flash, according to the report, before the suspect ran out of the restaurant.
Emergency crews took the 69-year-old victim to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center for burn treatment. The man was in critical condition at last update Thursday morning.
Arriving firefighters reported smelling gasoline inside the restaurant and on the victim, and officials believe the liquid was gasoline.
Mid to late 20s
5'10" - 6'0" tall
Flat brim hat, black hoodie, gray sweatpants with a black stripe, black shoes
Authorities confirmed a second, possibly related incident at the Clackamas Town Center movie theater Monday in which someone splashed gasoline on a stranger -- but didn't spark a fire. There were no injuries immediately reported in this case, which deputies are now revisiting.
If you know anything about either of these incidents or the pictured suspect, contact your local law enforcement.