What you can do to beat plastic pollution
It's World Environment Day and this year the theme is Beating Plastic Pollution.
Plastic pollution is a serious and growing problem – billions of pounds of plastic waste go into the world's oceans every year.
So, how can you help?
There are various ways to replace single-use plastic with an environmentally-friendly alternative.
- When you go shopping, take along a reusable bag or use a backpack. If you do get plastic, reuse it for a trash can liner or for your dog's bathroom breaks before throwing it away.
- Stop using plastic straws, even in restaurants. If straws are a must, choose compostable paper straws or buy some reusable ones.
- Do you really need to use – and throw away – all of those disposable water bottles? A better choice is to get a reusable bottle or mug for your beverages.
- Give up plastic utensils at home and when you order take-out tell the restaurant not to pack plastic utensils.
- Pack your lunch in reusable containers rather than plastic bags.